Apr 11, 2022
Easter is around the corner and it is important to take time out with your family . Make sure that you have a delicious breakfast on hand. Chop up a bowl of seasonal fruit and serve with some greek yogurt.
Then make these delicious hot cross buns with your children.
200mls milk or oat milk
100mls boiling water
one tablespoon butter softened
one tablespoon surebake yeast
two tablespoons brown sugar
one teaspoon salt
one tablespoon mixed spice
one cup of currants, sultanas or a a mixture.
quarter of a cup water
three tablespoons flour
two tablespoons sugar or honey
one tablespoon milk
1) Pour the milk into a measuring jug, add the boiling water and butter and sprinkle on the yeast.
2) Stir and set aside for ten minutes.
3) Sift the flour, sugar and salt and mixed spice into a bowl of an electric mixer or large bowl.
4) Add the liquid and the fruit. If using an electric mixer use the dough hook to knead for 7 minutes. If mixing by hand mix in the bowl and then turn out onto a floured bench and knead for ten minutes.
5) Return the kneaded dough to the mixing bowl, which has been greased with a teaspoon of butter.
6) Cover the bowl with a damp teatowel and leave in a warm place until double in size.
After the dough has risen in the bowl lightly form it in to a sausage and cut into 16 pieces
7) Form each into a ball and place on a warmed baking tray until double in size.
8) Pipe crosses on the buns just before baking
9) Crosses. Put the butter and water into a small saucepan over gentle heat. Heat until the butter melts and the water boils.
Remove from the heat and beat in the flour. Add the egg and whisk until smooth. Put this mixture into a piping bag and use it to make the crosses
10) Bake at 220C for five minutes then reduce heat to 180C and bake for another ten minutes. Remove from the heat and brush with the glaze made by bringing to the boil two tablespoons of sugar and one tablespoon of milk.